Canonical Interview and Pre-Cana Seminar


I was very anxious on what will happen in the Canonical Interview and the Pre Cana Seminar. Because what I know is that couples do get rejected by the church if they do not ‘pass’ the interview and the seminar.  I tried to refresh on my Religion subject back in elementary. The kind of stuff that I would recite to myself before I go to sleep back when I was in grade 3:  The 10 Commandments, The 7 Mortal Sins, The Blessed Sacraments, The Beatitudes to name a few..

The interview and seminar, much to my surprise, were very easy going and light!

In the interview, Fr Joseph, did ask some questions (not the Beatitudes! =P ) about our Catholic life. But more important than the questions, he gave us pieces of advise that could really hold Jen and I together.  He shared on the importance of communication and patience.

The Pre Cana seminar was ok too. Although, some parts became boring, it was definitely worth the time. Two couples, who were married for some 40 years or so, talked about married life. It's funny that they are not trying to show us that they are a perfect couple. Quite the contrary, they shared to us the flaws in their marriage and how they overcame obstacles through the years.

Honestly these two sessions countered the pessimistic opinions some people told us of marriage =). It neutralized remarks like:
1)      Sigurado na  ba kayo jan?’
2)      ‘Kailan ang Sakalan?’
3)      ‘Sa umpisa lang yan masaya!’
4)      ‘Hindi yan parang mainit na kanin blah blah…’

I learned , one has to pack a lot of optimism… it gets rarer along the way.